Search This Blog

Saturday 14 May 2011

Hungarian Translations


I thought you might enjoy these translations of the Kodaly numbers.

Esti Dal (Kodály)

Evening darkness overtook me near the woods;
I have put my coat under my head (i.e. as a pillow),
I have put my hands together
To pray to the Lord, like this:

Oh, my Lord, give me a place to sleep,
I am weary with wandering,
With walking around and hiding,
With living on foreign land.

May Lord give me a good night,
May he send me a holy angel,
May he encourage our hearts' dreams,
May he give us a good night.

Turot Eszik (Kodaly)

The gypsy eats curded cheese, "duba",
After that he quarrels, "leba",
He says he will slap my face, "duba",
Next he will hit his grandfather, "leba".

Past the budding fig tree he drives his caravan.
"Rida, rida, bom. bom, bom".
He has a life that is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment